Amazon is the largest online retailer in the world generating $177.9 billion in revenue in 2017 and a net income growth of 27.8%. In 2016, the ecommerce company’s net revenue was $135.99 billion, up from $107.01 billion in 2015. Around 50% of all sales on Amazon marketplaces come from third-party sellers.
Let’s take a look at some interesting stats on Amazon in 2017 provided by our friends at Marketplace Pulse.
Amazon marketplace stats
- Amazon currently has 12 marketplaces: USA, UK, Germany, France, Canada, Japan, India, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, and China. Amazon Australia and Singapore are launching soon.
- Amazon marketplace sellers, product sales ttotalled$118.57 billion, up 25.2% from $94.67 billion in 2016.
- There are over 5 million marketplace sellers across all Amazon marketplaces.
- 1,761,784 sellers have products listed for sale.
- A growing number of sellers on Amazon marketplace are based in China or Hong Kong.
- China’s share of the Amazon marketplace is around 25%.
- 66% of the top 10,000 sellers use FBA.
- Fulfillment by Amazon shipped billions of items worldwide.
- Amazon Lending surpassed $3 billion lent to small businesses on Amazon since the program started in 2011.
Amazon US stats
- More than 300,000 third-party sellers started selling on Amazon in 2017.
- More than 140,000 third-party sellers surpassed $100,000 in annual sales.
- Amazon Handmade expanded, offering customers more than one million handcrafted items across all 50 US states and more than 60 countries.
- During the Holiday Season, customers ordered more than 1 billion items from third-party sellers on Amazon, with more than 140 million items ordered between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday.
Want Pro Tips for Selling on Amazon?
New Amazon sellers
- 1,029,528 new sellers have joined Amazon this year.
- That’s the equivalent of 2,975 new sellers every day.
- So far this year, 400,703 new sellers have joined Amazon.com.
- 112,623 new sellers have joined Amazon.in.
- 80,046 new sellers have joined Amazon.co.uk.
- 18% of the top sellers on Amazon.com have their main category as Electronics.
- 15% of the top sellers are Clothing, Shoes & Jewellery.
- 13% of the top sellers are Home & Kitchen.
- 11%of the top sellers are Health & Household.
Amazon seller feedback
- So far, this year, a mammoth 113,098,076 seller feedback reviews have been left on Amazon.
- Of these, around 4% of the seller feedback left was negative.
- An average of 9,644,400 seller feedback reviews are left each month on all Amazon marketplaces.
- An average of 3,967,394 seller feedback reviews each month on Amazon.com.
- An average of 1,977,043 seller feedback reviews each month on Amazon.co.uk.
- An average of 1,260,433 seller feedback reviews on Amazon.de.
Although feedback reviews are not a direct representation of sales volume, they do allow us to compare sellers. On Amazon, the feedback a seller receives in a month, a year and lifetime is calculated. A seller’s Amazon feedback ratio will vary from seller to seller depending on how active they are in asking for feedback and if they are requesting it in the right way and at the right time.
Here’s a free template to help you.