Ecommerce marketers and sellers will be interested in ecommerce statistics for 2019. In this post, there are 89 great ecommerce statistics to help you develop a great Amazon seller marketing strategy for 2019.
Ecommerce Statistics Summary
- In 2018, retail ecommerce sales worldwide totalled $2.842 trillion.
- Ecommerce is growing 23% year-over-year.
- There are 1.45 billion daily active social media users.
- The average order value for customers referred from Instagram is $65.00.
- Online shoppers abandon their shopping carts 68% of the time.
- Millennials prefer communications with businesses to be via email.
Amazon Statistics Summary
- Amazon owns a staggering 49% of online spend in the US — around 5% of all US retail sales.
- 22% of consumers visited a brand site before purchasing on Amazon.
- In 2018, Amazon generated $258.22 billion in US retail ecommerce sales, an increase of 29.2% from 2017.
- 28% said convenience was the primary reason they shopped on Amazon.
- Amazon is the second biggest online store in terms of global revenue behind the Asian giant Taobao.
- 59% of 16-36 year-olds check out Amazon before any other ecommerce site.
Interested in more ecommerce statistics? Check out the infographic below courtesy of The Hosting Institute.